Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Not Quite Mother's Day

(Originally Posted May 8, 2011)

I just read a post from my dear friend Katie Marie Kat about the pain she feels today, thinking about the child she lost back when she was only a teen-ager. I, too, as many of you know, lost a child a few years back when my daughter Lehna was stillborn in March, 2006.

But many years earlier, I lost two other children -- both due to abortions by my girl friend at the time, a graduate student at Ohio State who felt that she wasn't ready for children and wanted to devote her energy more towards the pursuit of her Ph.D. than caring for a baby . . . the 2nd abortion actually happened only a few months after the first.

I know there are many women today who have lost children, either through miscarriage, abortion, or the death of their child and I know, too, that this day may not be a celebration for you. I feel some of your pain (but, of course, not all) and for those who fall in to this group, or know friends or family who do . . . please believe me when I say I send you my love and best wishes on Mother's Day.

It is your day, too.

No comments: