Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Apprentice Clairvoyant

*Originally posted March 29, 2011

I was sort of a "psychic prodigy" when I was young but in Ohio in the 1970's, there just weren't a lot of opportunities to study and "figure it out", so eventually I had to head West and, in 1979, I landed in San Francisico.

I studied with a lot of "teachers" in San Francisco when I was there in my early 20's -- the most important, by far, being Sanaya Roman. I left, because it was expensive to live there, and went back to Ohio where I spent my late 20's meditating and doing guided visualizations, literally, 30-40 hours every week for 5 years, on top of an extensive reading program, then a year or two later I turned "pro" and was the resident morning psychic on the biggest rock station in Ohio within a couple of months after "coming out", as well as landing a gig managing "Pearls of Wisdom" -- the hot new Metaphysical bookstore. I was positioned at the center of the metaphysical universe and life was good.

I continued to train (and I trained for it, just as you might train for the Olymics) and take classes, including "Peaceful Warrior" training with Dan Millman, and, after establishing myself as one of the best psychics in Ohio, I got a gig as a newspaper columnist in "The Free Press" and then was offered a chance to go to Los Angeles as a featured psychic in a $3.99 a minute infomercial with Erik Estrada and Jenilee Harrison that aired 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in every major market in the United States and Canada for a year and a half.

My prediction that Jenilee would do live theatre, something she swore would never happen (she was an ex-Rams Cheerleader who replaced Suzanne Sommers on "Three's Company"), was used as "proof" that your $3.99 a minute was better spent with "us" as opposed to that "other psychic", Linda Georgian, who was promoted back then by Dionne Warwick.

Life WAS good, indeed. Not only was I sort of a psychic rock star, I also had the nickname "The Psychic Adonis" to go along with it so things were definitely kickn but then, at sort of the top of my game, if you will, with more TV opportunities already lined up if I "signed the contract", for some crazy reason I said "fuck it" and walked.

Turned off the phones, refused to make appearances, and vanished. For 14 years.

It was only after Lehna's death that I "came back" -- something I swore for years would never happen. The moral of this story is that the path to awakening and developing psychic abiities, no matter how naturally talented you may or may not be, is a long slow apprenticeship and not always in a straight line.

My path is unique, I'm sure -- but not that unique that there aren't others with similar stories. But, bottom line, it takes time and it takes work -- a lot of work -- to get "good" at this. There are no short-cuts.

No short-cuts, at all. There is a hefty price tag to play this game and few are willing to pay it. Carl Jung says "there is no coming to consciousness without pain" and just as an athlete or performer trains for years to finally "make it", the same holds true for psychics, as well.

Moliere, the French playwright, has a great quote where he compares writing to prostitution: "first you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money".

You can only do this if you love it but eventually it "changes" when it becomes a profession. But, for me, the love for the "work" has never left. It's faded at times, but never ever went away :)

"There is some kiss we want with our whole lives,
the touch of spirit on the body."
Rumi

No comments: