Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Why I "Predict" the US Economy will Rebound, Dramatically, in 15 - 18 months

Originally Posted: June 20

Let's face it -- right now, things suck. Unemployment continues to be a huge problem, homes are still being foreclosed on right and left, more "bailouts" are in the works, and the Gulf Coast is an ecological disaster unlike anything we've ever seen . . . and Europe is about to hit a wall, too -- with the very real possibility that countries may actually default on their debts. Amazing.

When I said, back in 2006, that home prices would drop, it was viewed as a "Chicken Little" what is wrong with you kind of statement. Home prices would continue to rise; why couldn't I see that?

When I said in late 2008 that unemployment would get worse -- again I was considered a bit foolish. Same thing when I said that not only would Barack Obama not fix everything six weeks into his first term -- as most people SWORE would happen -- but things would get WORSE after he was inaugurated.

I even went so far as to say that within 16-18 months (that translates to right now, in fact) his popularity would plummet and he would be seen not only as an ineffectual president but he would be viewed as a terrible disappointment by a great number of people, even by some who had been his strongest supporters back in 2008.

I could go down a dark dark path looking at why the US economy is in the mess it's in but I have chosen across the board to go to (and stay) in my "happy space" and so I am going to try and focus on the positives going forward and not dwell so much on the darkness of the past.

People are fed up; they are, literally, not going to take it any more and my faith in the resiliency of the United States is very strong. It won't come from our elected officials -- they are, for the most part, bought and sold by corporate lobbyists so the answer will have to come from somewhere else.

Capital for start-ups has dried up and corporations rule the land with an iron glove. Both are negative drivers for business growth and to see any real innovation and change in the business climate people will have to forge ahead IN SPITE OF so many things being stacked against them.

But, in the Fall of 2011 I believe the U.S. will turn the corner a bit and things will begin to look up. I expect business to drive that growth but not business as usual -- this will come from a more entrepreneurial spirit and will come about ONLY if the United States buckles up and starts to produce more than it consumes.

And it will.

I believe the next 12 months are going to continue to suck. A lot. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel and by the Fall of 2011 I think the wheels will start to turn in a more positive fashion. I think we will come back and for once I am the positive optimistic voice as now most people see what I was talking about before and can't see much beyond it.

But people are smarter than the elites think (or want) and as a collective we will take back our economic prosperity and see it return to the world (with a few dents and scratches) that we planned out before . . .

That is my "prediction".

No comments: