Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Rock n Roll Psychic Bands of the Week


GOGOL BORDELLO I saw them perfom a few weeks back on "The Henry Rollins Show".  They are kind of an Eastern European gypsy punk something or other wild thing conglomeration but they totally rock!  My favorite song: "60 Revolutions"--awesome band.

Gogol Bordello

54 Nude Honeys Asian punk princesses, coming off their "Sexy Pistols Tour"--you have got to love that--these girls are the full package: high energy, photogenic, and they can play.

54 Nude Honeys

The Blow My daughter Riana turned me on to this band and I got two minutes of "Cool Dad" street cred when I took her into Berkeley and found their CD at Amoeba Records.

The Blow

Ten Years After An oldie but goody, Ten Years After was a late 60's blues based hard rock band fronted by one of the truly great guitarists of all time, Alvin Lee, who made a name for themselves with their performance at the original Woodstock.  The song "I'm Coming Home" was one of my favorites way back when and helped strengthen my pre-punker neck muscles back in Junior High.

Ten Years After

The New York Dolls I have written elsewhere that my single most intense reaction ever to any song was when I first heard "Personality Crisis" back when I was in High School in Ohio.  The Dolls crossed genres and genders and I had never seen or heard anything like them when they first came along.  Fronted by David Johansen (who later reinvented himself on MTV as Buster Poindexter) with Sylvain Sylvain and the late, great Johnny Thunders on guitar, they are perhaps the glammest of all the Glam bands, ever.  Nothing like them before--they were truly unique.  One of my favorite bands of all time.

The New York Dolls

And don't forget, if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, please come into the city tonight and watch Allegra Shock perform at The Hotel Utah Saloon at 4th and Bryant, near AT&T park.  The show starts at 9:00 PM.

No comments: